Sunday, February 28, 2010

Oh Canada!

That title has more than one meaning. First, the song. I think I can almost sing Canada's national anthem I've heard it so many times over the course of these Olympics. I'm not complaining. I think it's great that Canada won the most gold medals. After their previous home Olympic experiences, they deserve it them (even if I was hoping with everything in me that the USA would win the men's hockey game today!)

Second, Canada the nation. I think that if I had to choose another country of allegiance, Canada would be my choice. That's not to say that I agree with everything Canadian. Heck, I don't agree with everything American, but I think that I could be a happy Canadian. The US and Canada have an interesting interconnectedness that I think a lot of people on both sides of the border overlook or ignore. I'm probably guilty of it sometimes. I love that during these Olympics there were little reminders about that interspersed among the athletic achievements.

Third, Canada the beautiful. It's been fifteen years since my one and only trip to Canada. The family spent about a week exploring Vancouver Island and then the city of Vancouver. I'd like to visit the other provinces. The visuals of polar bears and rocky coastlines has bumped Canada up a few spots on my travel list.

No comments: