Saturday, February 13, 2010

Olympics Fever


I admit the Olympic Games have a huge effect on me. I remember as a kid keying in on the upcoming games the way many kids anticipate Christmas. Living on the west coast means tape delays and as I kid I hated having to go to be early and miss the medals ceremonies. As an adult, my reaction is much the same.

Last night I yawned my way through a really great - in my opinion - Opening Ceremony of the Vancouver Games. I really enjoyed the inclusion of Canada's First Peoples, and while I admit the Beijing OC was beautiful in 2008, Vancouver's spectacular was enchanting. I admit, I want to go back to Canada.

Even with the tragic death of the Georgian luge athlete, Nodar Kumaritashvili - My heart goes out to his family and teammates - I still find the Olympics to be more than just an athletic competition. It's about fellowship and striving for a goal. It's about tradition and innovation. It's remembering the past and hoping for the future.

So, for the next fourteen and a half days, I will be glued to my television as much as possible to catch the Olympic Spirit. And to my friends and family...I'm sorry if I ignore you. I'll get back to you after the Closing Ceremonies. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the Olympics too! I was so tempted to take the kids up for a hockey game since the games are so close. We have been watching it every day and my kids are talking about what sport they are going to do when they are Olympians.