Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Genetics

I have to admit that I'm not a science geek. Science is interesting, but only to the degree that I find individual concepts interesting. I have no desire to know all there is, but I find genetics fascinating. What to do we gain from our parents, grandparents, and so on back through the generations.

I remember doing some basic genetics in high school. It was an investigation looking at physical traits we shared with family members. During that unit we observed eye color, who could roll their tongues, who had detached earlobes, and whether or not you have crooked pinkies. If I remember correctly, tongue rolling and detached earlobes were rather common, dominant traits. The crooked pinkies, not so much. It's recessive, and I inherited that trait from both my parents along with "blue" eyes. I will also admit that I didn't give much thought to my fellow students who were adopted and how this subject impacts their lives. I've always known that piece of my past. I have photos of ancestors who look like me.

This evening I watched the finale of "Faces of America" which is the latest genealogical investigation taken on by Dr. Henry Louis Gates, Jr. In the past, his emphasis has been on African-American research, which can be a difficult undertaking. This time around he took the investigations to the molecular level, analyzing DNA to find haplong groups and shared ancestry. It was interesting, and makes me curious about my own. As someone whose interest in family history, this is kind of the next step. Well, it's something to think about.

No comments: