Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Washington DC: Day 3

Today was a short day in DC. The last ting we really needed to do before moving on was visit Arlington National Cemetery. Again, we took the metro. And then we opted for the NPS tour-mobile. The cemetery is so huge and it encompasses the entire history of our country.

Our first stop was at the Kennedy grave site. It's been built up some since my last visit, and I admit that it's a compelling place. But I don't think that my generation really feels toward it the way the previous generation does. People of my parents' generation know exactly what they were doing when they heard about JFK's assassination. For me, the monument to the Challenger crew, who died in 1986 has more meaning because that is one of the moments I remember. In fact, while standing before it I mentioned to this little boy that our entire school watched the shuttle launch, then explode on TV that day. His grandmother then told me that her students where at recess and didn't have to see that.

Of course when you're at Arlington you must see the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers. It's precise and very honor-bound. You can feel it emanating from those soldiers who take their duty so seriously. I can't imagine what a weight that must be, especially during a time like now when there are multiple burials every day. We didn't see a funeral in progress, but we did see two fully hitched caissons.


No comments: