Thursday, July 31, 2008

Travel Day: MD to NC

We left Baltimore at 6:00 this morning and flew to Greenville-Spartanburg airport in South Carolina. Before today we'd never been to South Carolina, so we took some time to check out Spartanburg before heading north to our family reunion. I love the fact that my parents are so easygoing. They didn't even blink when I pointed to a sign that said 'Cowpens National Battlefield'. We just took a side trip of thirty-eight miles.

The battle at Cowpens was fought in 1781 with the American continentals and militia defeating the British. I admit I'm not a military historian. I have trouble visualizing battle formations and strategy, but I enjoy the stories. And the park ranger at Cowpens could tell a good story.

As we left the battlefield the sky opened up to a thunderstorm. We pulled off in Chesnee, SC and had ice cream at Strawberry Hill, USA on Route 11. Once the storm passed, we continued on to Asheville, North Carolina.

No comments: