Sunday, April 13, 2008

Tough Little Girl

Many of my students are kind of like toasted marshmallows. They have this hard, singed exterior because life has not been their best friend. But at the same time they're human with feelings that are easily bruised. If they weren't high school would not be the dramatic trial that it is. I've often said that I prefer older kids because they understand the nuances of my personality. But that doesn't always mean they read between the lines very well.

I have had this one particular student for three years now. She's done an amazing amount of work. When I first met here, her transcript was blank. But just the other night during spring conferences I had to tell her and her mother that she's looking at being 1.5 credits short of graduating in June. She's ordered her gown and her announcements. And I saw something I hadn't in three years. I saw that tough little girl sometimes moody, usually quick to laugh, generous with her friends, a staunch ally...I saw that little girl cry.

No comments: