Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Taking Charge Pt 2: Job Fair

Job Fair. For those of you who have survived the experience the words elicit a variety of feelings. My luck with job fairs prior to today's experience is about 33%. I never feel as if I'm well prepared going into that arena. There's a whole check list I go through:

Do I look professional?
Do I have my credentials: teaching license, resume, letters of recommendation?
Can I remember my name and what I do? (yes, this is true!)

It sounds strange, I know. But oodles of people (many of whom want social studies jobs) are packed into a cavernous convention hall with the same goal makes one stop and wonder: What do I have to do to stand out? It's freaky. And this time around I was a veteran of this whole process. After all, I found my current position at this very same venue three years ago and it's been step in the direction I want to go.

Today's job fair was, as usual, overwhelming. I wonder how fruitful passing out resumes other credentials will be this time around. And dealing with the sticky question about why I want to relocate...well, did "the district is reorganizing" answer that adequately? Did I sound like a flake? Or worse, someone who was being fired? See, anxiety. I really don't need this kind of stress!

No comments: