Sunday, April 20, 2008

Early Childhood Education: A Few Thoughts

Education is always on a teacher's mind. It's part of the price we pay for doing what we do. We question ourselves, administration, and the all-powerful bureaucrats. But as much as I question, I can't imagine the questions that parents ask.

Many of my friends are parents of young children, or are parents to be. They've discovered as they navigate the early years that education starts early. Personally, I can't fathom a system where you apply for pre-school before you even give birth! Yet it exists. I remember attending pre-school, vaguely. Those few memories are more likely anchored to one of my teachers, a friend of the family, than the actual place or activities. I can't recall any of the other children from school during those two years. There are few standout moments during those ages of 3 and 4, but for the most part I remember more about the educational process at home. When I was a child the newspaper was delivered in the afternoon. I would sit in Dad's lap while he read the articles of the day. I was more interested in the photos and advertisements, but he had the patience to answer my questions. I remember Mom reading me stories and helping me write simple words. We played card games and board games where we learned to count and identify colors and shapes. We had those little alphabet magnets on the fridge. But most of all I remember that questions were encouraged, and family time was precious.

So, my friends I wish you luck with your nagivation. And if you'd like some interesting reading, check out "As the World Learns" in the Feb/Mar issue of Edutopia.

1 comment:

Lisa Rampton Halverson said...

Thanks for reminding us all of where education really occurs! Even we teachers are not the greatest sources of learning for our kids.

Saw another preschool today, one I'd love David to be a part of (it's actually listed under PARENT/ADULT ed in our district, because parents have to take evening classes once a week and observe the kids' classes once a week). It may not fit with my work schedule, though. Makes me waver about continuing to teach at the percent I am (60%), which is on the high side as David gets older, and as we consider a second adoption.