Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Jury Duty: Comments

I've had a few days to really think about my jury duty experience. It was awful, I won't lie, and if I ever get called again it will be way too soon. I understand the need for democracy in the courtroom, but the fact that human beings can't or won't drop all their baggage at the door to the jury room can be a big stumbling block to achieving any sort of resolution. During the selection process the attorneys take into account things like close ties to people involved in the case, even the witnesses; ties to law enforcement, and whether or not violent crime has been a factor in your life. You can tell who is trying to avoid jury duty by the way certain people plead their own personal case. I feel they should ask who is willing to serve instead of attempting to disqualify people. Of course, who's to say that they'd ever be able to seat a full jury.

Jurors have a difficult job. They're supposed to uses their common sense, but can't ask questions; look at both the real and circumstantial evidence and make a decision. It's not that easy. But I guess it really shouldn't be.

No comments: