Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Jury Duty

It's been a long month of jury duty. Actually, I haven't had the duty, just have had to check in every day. But the message was different yesterday. I had to report this morning, and just my luck, I was selected for the trial. And not a short little one day experience. Oh no, it looks like I'm going to be there all week. Hopefully it won't be held over until next week. I have plans and I don't want to change them! And did I mention that I'll be out of my classroom all week. Not exactly happy about that either. Oh well.

I know a trial by jury is a constitutional right. And, lover of the democratic process that I am, I wouldn't change that. I really do believe the U.S. Constitution is a wonderful document and the rights of U.S. citizens should not be abridged. I do, however, have problem with the circuitous and labyrinthine process that trial lawyers take. And the means which potential jurors use to get away with not doing their duty.

No comments: