Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Brunch with Friends

Other people often find it amazing that I've maintained friendships with my high school pals. My current students are really surprised since many of them can't wait to escape the high school drama and leave those people behind. I don't know whose experiences are more the norm. Those who do stay in touch, or those who do not.

Every year around the holidays a group of us makes the effort to sit down for a couple hours, usually over food of some type, and reconnect our busy lives. Over the years our little group has grown to include spouses, children and occasionally visiting friends and siblings. It's one of the things I really look forward to. Yesterday's get together was bit different. It's the first one in may years without any of the husbands, and it's early in the year, since we usually meet around Christmas. It's been sixteen years since high school, and the four of us who made it yesterday (Jen, Trina, Amy & myself) have seen the world far and wide; had many jobs, homes, experiences, yet there's something still that draws us back to each other, a kind of mini reunion ritual. I for one am grateful for it. So, thank you ladies, and especially Trina for hosting again! Lisa, we missed you! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

No comments: