Monday, July 19, 2010

Moving Palestine Church

This is the North Palestine Church. It was built about 130 years ago on the donation land claim of my 3rd great grandparents, Tolbert and Martha Angeline Belieu Carter, in Benton Co. Oregon.

A few months ago, the decision was made by the North Palestine Cemetery Board that the church building could no longer be maintained, and with the need to increase the size of the cemetery, the building (which hasn't been in use for decades) should be torn down. I think that was a sad moment for most of us who are attached to the building and the cemetery. Three generations of my family are buried in the cemetery. My family worshiped in that church once upon a time. Luckily, some preservationists have stepped in and with the help of the county, the building was spared.

Yesterday, the church moved from it's old brick foundation about to a new home about four miles away with the hope that it can be used as a community space. My parents and I went to watch, and it feels good knowing I could witness the move, rather than a demolition.

No comments: