Tuesday, September 29, 2009

National Parks on PBS


I've been watching Ken Burns' new documentary series on the National Parks. It's been interesting to see how the history of the parks has evolved through the hard work and determination of some ordinary and extraordinary individuals.

There are 391 units in the National Park Service system that are divided into nine regions. They encompass parks, seashores, historical trails, battlefields, monuments, homes and areas of natural wonder. I've been fascinated by them for a long time. And I've had a very patient family who has allowed me to drag them to several. (Even when they have not really been interested in that particular site.) One day, I'd like to be able to say I've visited all 391 (of course, that number is bound to increase). A quick tally of the cancellation stamps in my National Parks Passport tells me I have about 320 to go.

No comments: