Sunday, August 2, 2009

Israel Family Reunion

Wow! The event I've been looking forward to (and dreading) is done. I'm a descendent of Michael Israel (b. ca 1736) and his wife Sarah Graves. Each year some of his descendents get togehter for an annual reunion. The reunion travels around the country (the last four have been in Virginia, Kentucky, North Carolina, and now Oregon). Next year, we're tentatively planning for New York.

So, the reunion is great. These people are wonderful, and we have fun. I was really looking forward to seeing everyone. The dread part was had a lot to do with being this year's host. It seemed like so many things went wrong. there was a mix up with hotel. My first caterer cancelled at the last minute. And I really didn't know what to do with everyone. But the biggest fear was "what if nobody shows up."

In retropecct, the reunion when well.

July 30 - most of the attendees arrived. I had a meeting room available and we spent time greeting each other and catching up. It was a fairly early night. All those east coasters were ready for bed by 9:00 pm. We owe a huge "Thank You" to the Corvallis Applebees for not freaking out when 17 of us showed up for dinner.

July 31 - I planned a trip to Champoeg State Park. They have a great visitor's center, and since most of the family came in from out of state (California, Indiana, Louisiana, Nebraska, Alabama) it was a good choice. Mr. & Mrs. Hinds, who provided costumed interpretation were awesome! We ate lunch at the historic Butteville store. Dianne and her crew did a great job of providing lunch for all 23 of us. And Judy at the Newell House Museum welcomed us graciously without prior notice (I didn't think we'd have time to visit).





August 1 - About 15 of us made a quick trip out to North Palestine Cemetery this morning. I told about the family branch that came west. This afternoon was some scheduled downtime/visiting/sharing. I had to get things ready for dinner. I owe Kendra and her crew at Bo-Mack's Barbeque for saving the family dinner. When my other caterer flaked, they very graciously stepped in and fulfilled our needs. The food was excellent! And I really appreciate all the work put in by the team at the Corvallis Holiday Inn Express getting the banquet room all set up on such short notice.




As I said, it was a great reunion. Definitely a success, which I'm greatful for.

No comments: