Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Marionberries!


The marionberries have been exploding over the last couple weeks. Mom's made jam and pies while freezing more for future pies, and giving berriees to friends and family. The berries at Mom & Dad's house descend from the berries my grandparents had more than 30 years ago.

Marionberries are my absolute favorite. They're both tart and sweet. There's a bit of a surprise in every bite, which I love. I don't love picking them. They have these really nasty little stickers. It's the legacy of the marionberry's ancestor, the himalayan blackberry. Sometimes you don't know you've got a sticker embedded in a finger until it festers a few days later.

Unfortunately, marionberries mean that summer is almost over. In a couple weeks I'll be headed back to school and a new crop of students.

No comments: