Thursday, July 21, 2011

Bye, Bye Borders


The announcement that Borders Books is closing has really distressed me. I've spent many, many hours roaming the aisles selecting and rejecting books. I will miss it's convenience, selection, events, coupons and discounts.

On another level, I fear the loss of books. What the economist on the news called "the E-book revolution" freaks me out. I like to hold books and turn the pages. Reading from a screen just isn't aesthetically pleasing. I have a habit of picking up old favorites and randomly choosing a page to start the story. I'll read a page or a chapter or the rest of the book. I also enjoy having books all over the house. So, I just don't see myself with an e-reader of some sort. And if the big bookstores have difficulty surviving, what happens to the small independent who has over the years narrowed the focus to particular genres?

I know this rambles. I'm just not happy. :(

No comments: