Sunday, November 21, 2010

Fire Starters


During the holidays my family goes through an abundance of candles. We like the way they smell, and how pretty they look. But not all candles are created equal, and some leave behind a lot of wax when they've finished burning up the wick.

A few years ago I had so much leftover wax and it seemed so bad to just throw it away. I know...I could go buy new candle molds and wicks and make recycled candles, but with so many scents, I just couldn't justify that plan. Instead I took some initiative, a coffee can, shredded paper (another increasing byproduct of life) and started making fire starters which we use during summer camping trips.

I spent an afternoon last weekend making a new batch. It's easy, but time consuming. Leftover wax is melted in a coffee can over low heat on the stove. White that's happening, I crumple up handfuls of shredded paper and put them in paper cupcake cups. When the wax is melted, I pour it on the paper a few at a time letting the wax begin to settle up a bit before pouring the excess onto a new cup. It's labor intensive because I haven't figured out a good way to really soak the paper without using a muffin pan, which may be something I try in the future.

No comments: