Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Writing Contests

I won an essay contest in the 6th grade for an essay I wrote about John F. Kennedy. My prize was savings bond, which I still haven't cashed. Odd what is remembered from childhood. However, I think that contest was probably what inspired me to write.

So, many years later, I'm a member of the DAR and decided enter their American Heritage contest in the drama category. Now, don't think great drama, but anything with dialogue pretty much qualifies. I send the piece off, feeling pretty good about it. A couple weeks ago state winners were posted, and I didn't place. It was kind of a let down, but there were dozens of entries, probably. So, I shook myself off and went about my business. Today, I got an email from the national contest chairman. It seems I've won second place at the National Level. Wow! Speechless. And pretty darn happy. :)

No comments: