Friday, January 15, 2010

I guess I wasn't busy enough....

I've been teaching half time this school year, and while I wasn't thrilled with the idea of fewer hours and less pay, I was thankful to have job, a regular paycheck and benefits. It took a couple of months, but I got used to the routine: Up early, work, run by the main office, hit the gym and home by early afternoon. I had time to put in on a DAR project, I scrap booked,read, cooked (sometimes). It was kind of nice. But, those of you who know me, know I like to stay relatively busy. I should be careful what I wish for.

Change of Pace #1 - Last month I answered an email from our curriculum director about some graduate level courses toward an ESOL endorsement. I don't have many second language kids, but the courses are grant funded (free is a very good price!) so I felt it was an opportunity I just couldn't pass up. I came back from our break on January 4, to an email that classes were starting on January 5. Okay. We've had two meetings. I've seen the syllabus. I'm going to be busy for the next few months.

Change of Pace #2 - On Wednesday I had a message to call our human resources director. "Hmmmmm", I thought, but I made the call. Another teacher in the district had made a request to reduce her hours and I was being offered the second half of her day. Again, it was an opportunity too good to pass up. I'll be tackling some new material. Of course I accepted. I've spent the last couple afternoons getting to know the kids and coordinating with the other teacher. On Tuesday, I'll officially be flying solo.

So, what does this mean? Up early, detour past the main office first thing in the am, teach my classes until noon. Eat in a hurry and jump in the car to drive to my new pm classes. Squeeze in the gym afterwards (hopefully), and on days I have class, I'll rush there for three hours of school work, working in dinner/snacks as I can. I'm having a feeling of deja vu. Didn't I do this schedule once already? Oh yeah, but I was a few years younger then. :)

No comments: