Thursday, October 22, 2009

Volunteering - Pay it Forward


Tonight I returned to a project I've been involved with for about ten years now - teacher CPR and First Aid classes for the American Red Cross. I admit my initial decision to teach these classes was kind of selfish. As a substitute teacher in some districts, I was required to have my CPR and first aid certification. At $40 a year, I wasn't exactly keen on keeping that current. My solution was to volunteer to teach, and it's been a great experience. Until I moved south four years ago I was a very regular volunteer instructor, teaching classes every month. Living on the coast, I only taught occasionally. Tonight's class was the first I'd taught since I moved back here over a year ago.

This coming Saturday is a Day of Service; one of those days that is labeled in hopes of getting people out into the community, to do some work to benefit the community and to build community. I think it's a great idea, but I really feel that volunteerism has to last all year long. It doesn't have to be huge, all encompassing projects. Interaction with others has so many benefits both for the volunteer and the recipient. Find a niche, make some effort and you'll find that it really does pay forward.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A good post on Trips & Ramblings
I did come across a websitehttp://www.gotoaid.com/. It’s has all information on first aid emergencies. It has information on Human emergencies and even for pets like cat or dog. Hope it help you guys too.


Signature: Online First Aid Kit