Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Does Crime Pay?

Last week I received a phone call from my credit card company. My account had been frozen pending verification of some "suspicious" charges. The customer service rep, who was kind of witchy, asked me about several vendors. I didn't recognize all of them, so the company closed that account and issued me a new card which I received a couple days ago. Today, I received my statement. I have to say the company was great about deducting the fraudulent charges since the three transactions totalled more than $300!

I called this evening to activate the new card and actually spoke to a customer service rep who explained that someone has their identity stolen every 3.5 seconds. That's more frequent than babies being born.

So, I don't know if crime pays, but I know it costs us all money and peace of mind.

No comments: