Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Oregon State Hospital


Teachers are always learning. Oregon requires so many professional development units (PDU's) to renew a teaching license. Most of those units are acquired through staff development activities throughout the school year. But, occasionally, teachers will take some summer workshops or college classes and earn a few more. This week I'm doing a workshop call Summer Institutes. I attended one in 2003 and there were about 20 participants. This week, there are almost 160.

Part of the Summer Institutes curriculum is community interaction. Today my group toured the Oregon State Hospital. For those of you who don't know, the hospital's main building was built in 1883. It's been crumbling for decades, and now the hospital is going though a major demolition and renovation project. It was an interesting tour of a facility that has a long and interesting history. I'm glad I got a chance to see parts of it.

No comments: