Saturday, June 6, 2009

Graduation Days

Webfetti.com


It's the time of year again where the kids you've pushed, prodded and nagged move onto the next phase. Working in Alt Ed, it's one of those big goals of mine. I see some students who don't see the point or the importance of graduating, or education at all. I guess I feel a little more confident in the future when the kids finally get that diploma.

Last Wednesday night I dressed up in my Masters Robe (it's tradition at the school I work in now) and watched several of the seniors I've worked with walk across that stage. There were a few more who chose not to walk, which I feel is unfortunate, but it's their choice, and I felt a little better about how difficult this year has been.

Today was the graduation ceremony for my former school. I received a wonderful note in an invitation for that rite of passage from a former student who I admire so much. The deck was really stacked against her at times, and I wish I could've been there today. But that wasn't possible. I feel really confident in knowing that her path is clearer than it was when I met her as a freshman. She's so much stronger now that she thought she could be four years ago.

No comments: