Monday, March 2, 2009

The March of Time

Is time relevant? Or relative? On the one hand, it's March already and I'm wondering where the first two months of the year have gone. I know all about the mechanics of time. Moon rotates around the Earth; Earth rotates around the Sun and we have days, nights, seasons. But seriously....why does it seem to pass so quickly even when we're not having fun?

The passage of time also has meaning when compared to other things. I sometimes forget, I mean I have to literally stop and count, how old I am. In this respect, time is relative. I spend my days with teenagers, and the more they think they change, the more they resemble the teens I've known since I was a teenager myself. But that's work related, and I don't want to write about work! :)

So, is time relevant or is it simply relative? Maybe there is no answer except the one we really want at any given moment.

1 comment:

Tracy J. said...

I think time passes so quickly for us now because every minute is jam-packed with work, with chores, with some sort of activity. Even when I'm at "rest," I've got the computer nearby to do some work or surf for fun. So the past four months since I returned to work have just flown buy.

By contrast, my six months of maternity leave seemed to go at a more leisurely pace because having a baby attached to you 24/7 forces you to slow down. And that's a very good thing.