Saturday, October 4, 2008

Art at the Museum...and in the Park

The Hallie Ford Art Museum at Willamette University is celebrating it's 10th Anniversary this weekend with free admission, and they just opened an exhibit I wanted to see. Today seemed like the perfect time to visit. The exhibit, ceremonial regalia from the nine Native tribes in Oregon, was interesting. I found out while I was there that the pieces were chosen by the tribes themselves, and not the curator of the exhibit. That's unusual in art circles. I got there just in time for a tour by an anthropology student, and I started to follow along but found myself enjoying my own wanderings better. I'm one of those people who actually likes to read the exhibit signs.

After seeing the galleries, including an exhibit of Native American basketry, in the museum I wandered outside, and across the street to Willson Park. It's one of those small, urban green spaces with a gazebo and a fountain. It neighbors the capital building, and the golden pioneer gazes across it. I found myself drawn to the sculptures in the park. I don't what it's called, but it's kind of whimsical.



No comments: