Thursday, June 5, 2008

Simple Thank You


Teachers everywhere will tell you we don't do this for the money. Some teach because they love their subjects. Others teach because they really love kids. And some start out on one path and find themselves on another. Working with kids on the edge--there are many--has caused me to spend a great deal of time reflecting on why I go to work everyday to work with a bunch of surly, sometimes uncooperative teenagers with ever-changing attitudes. There are days when I have actually started a letter of resignation. There are days when I wonder why I keep trying when I'm getting kicked (metaphorically) in the teeth. And then there are days like today. It was our last day for seniors. They will graduate on Saturday. Anyway, today one of my seniors came in with her mother and brought me flowers, hugs and a card. In part she wrote, "You are by far the best teacher ever thanks for everything it means alot" I almost cried. I'm going to miss the kids when I move.

1 comment:

Lisa Rampton Halverson said...

So glad she took the time to express her respect, love and gratitude for you. I know there are more out there who feel the same way about us teachers...only a few say it, though!