Saturday, June 7, 2008

Graduation Day


Today the Class of 2008 graduated. Believe me, as I sat their with my fellow faculty members I felt such a sense of relief. Many of the kids who I have come to know slightly or well over the last three years were waling across the stage. It was a huge moment.

One of my seniors, J, finally finished two of her classes yesterday, after rehearsal. For that particular student, the last three years was an ongoing struggle. Her freshman year was a total loss, and to complete four years of coursework in three years is pretty amazing.

A second student, B, has shown so much growth and maturity in the last three years. I first met a very argumentative and narrow-minded individual. I don't know that his point of view has broadened, but he's much better at handling conflict that he used to be.

And finally there was S. She's kind, cooperative, but not very empowered. Perhaps she has made the greatest strides from having no direction to applying for the local community college and tentative plans to pursue early childhood education.

For these three and all the others, it's been a pretty amazing journey.

No comments: