Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I write like who?

It's getting close to NaNoWriMo time. I'm not sure if I'm going to participate this year, but I've been reading about other people's preparations and anticipation. Today on the NaNo Facebook page was a link for I Write Like. It's a program that will analyze a piece of writing you enter and compare it to a database of writers. Out of curiosity, I had to try it.

First, I copied part of the dialogue I entered in the DAR American Heritage Contest in 2010. I won second place at the national level, so I figured it was a good place to start. According to the program, I write like....Cory Doctorow. I've never read that author.

Second, I entered the blog post just proceeding this one. This time, I write like...Kurt Vonnegut. Another author I've never read.

Third time, I entered the first few paragraphs of my NaNo book from 2009. At least I've read this author...James Joyce.

I had to try one more time, so I just entered this text. Now, I write like H.P. Lovecraft.

This is just too funny! Four pieces by me and the result is four different authors. Who knew?!

No comments: