Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Guernsey Literacy and Potato Peel Pie Society



What a title! I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, but it came highly recommended by my mother's pal, Becky. I had nothing to lose and a few hours, so I cracked it open and started to read. My eyes (sans glasses) finally gave out two hours later and I still didn't want to put it down! I was completely sucked into the story, which is 1946 on the English Channel Island of Guernsey.

This book is written in letter format which is a fun format to read because it requires some imagination. It's a little bit like hearing half a phone conversation. And it takes a really talented writer to pull it off; to make the characters so full that you don't miss the interaction. Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows did an awesome job.

1 comment:

* said...

I just picked this up, it looks interesting.