Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Soup! or I knew I bought those for a reason....


I know, it's kind of a weird topic for August, but I like soup. Usually, when I make soup, it's "Kitchen Soup." Whatever is in the kitchen, goes into the soup.

Last Saturday, on the way to our family reunion we stopped at E-Z Orchards Farm Market. We picked up some really nice peaches and green beans. For some reason I felt compelled to also buy some tomatillos. I've never cooked with tomatillos, but I really love salsa verde, so I thought that was probably what I would end up doing with them. Wrong!

Jump ahead two days, and I picked up a copy Sunset Magazine (August 2010 issue). As I flipped through it, a photo of what looked like salsa caught my eye. Further reading told me it was actually "Mexican tomatillo avocado soup". It looked so good, I had to try it. Of course, I made a couple of adjustments: I omitted the cucumber and cilantro (I don't really like them), added chopped fresh tomatoes and substituted red hot sauce. I was also lazy and kept my soup chunky, skipping the puree and sieve stesp. It's so yummy.

1 comment: