Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Really Good Biography


I just finished reading a really great book, "Alice: Alice Roosevelt Longworth, from White House Princess to Washington Power Broker" by Stacy A. Cordery.

Sometimes I find myself drawn to histories and biographies. Sometimes they're not so great. I don't mean that the material isn't interesting, but some authors just can't fire the imagination. That is not the case with this book. Cordery presented such a complete picture of Alice Longworth. A woman who saw such a wide variety of experiences, and insisted on living life the way she wanted. Alice Longworth was a contemporary of my great-grandmother, and from what I remember about my granny, she had a similar "I'll do it my way" mentality. So, if you're feeling like tackling a big biography, check it out. It's worth it.

No comments: